Saturday, September 15, 2012

Tagged Under: , , , , , ,

Birthday Cake Batter Cookies

Share


I've never baked a cookie that I liked more than the dough itself. Until now. I've also never regretted making a cookie as much as I regret making these. I seriously can't stay out of them. 

I'm obsessed with three things:

Cookie dough.

Cake batter.

Sprinkles.



These cookies capture the magic of all three in one seriously sweet treat. This might possibly be the best cookie I have ever made. 

The inspiration started with my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I first discovered it in high school, when I was trying to impress my boyfriend with my baking skills. I'm fairly certain those cookies were why he fell in love with me. I eventually dumped him, but I stuck by that recipe for the long haul. It's a no-fail crowd pleaserthe soft, dense type of cookie most people assume could only come from a bakery. 


The irony? The secret ingredient is a basic supermarket staple: instant pudding mix. 



I wanted to create a cookie with the same soft, cake-like texture. But I was afraid pudding mix would overpower the cake batter flavor I sought. So I broke out the milk powder, the secret weapon of Momofuku Milk Bar, one of my favorite NYC bakeries. I combined it with sugar, cornstarch, and a little salt to create my own milk-flavored pudding mix. The powdery mixture contributes creaminess more than it does flavor.

The effect was exactly as I intended. The batter was, as you'd expect, delicious, but the cookies were otherworldly. If I sound like I'm bragging, it's because I am. These cookies were GOOD.



Fresh out of the oven!
Birthday Cake Batter Cookies

What you need
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups yellow cake mix
3 sticks butter, softened
1 ¼ cups brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup white sugar
2 ½ Tbsp milk powder
3 ½ Tbsp white sugar
2 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 ½ Tsp vanilla extract
2 cups white baking chips
½ cup sprinkles

Put it all together
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. 
  2. Beat the butter, brown sugar, and 1/3 cup sugar until well combined. 
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the milk powder, ½ Tbsp white sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Slowly beat the mixture in with the butter and sugar.
  4. Stir in the eggs and vanilla, then gently fold in the white baking chips and sprinkles.
  5. Roll dough into 1" balls, and place on an ungreased baking sheet, about 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake for 13-15 minutes. 
Or, if you really want to get experimental, grill the cookie dough! 

I flattened a ball of dough into a pancake shape, and grilled it on a 350°F griddle. The outside was crispy, the inside gooey. I have no idea if this is safe, since the inside wasn't fully cooked, but I do know it was delicious!


Grilled cookie!
You may also enjoy...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura! Did you add sprinkles to make it a birthday cake batter or did you use a funfetti cake mix? I didn't see anything in the ingredients that would make it colorful like that? I can't wait to make them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Devon! Oh my goodness...good thing you pointed that out! Thank you! I did use sprinkles. I added that to the recipe instructions. I'm getting senile!

    ReplyDelete