Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tagged Under: , , , , , ,

Birthday Cake Cheesecake

Share

I've been really grumpy lately. It seems that all I do is flit from social obligation to work to buying MORE cat food, and I'm just worn out. (It's a tough life, really. I miss summer break.) Fortunately, there's respite in my kitchen. When I'm grumpy, nothing makes me feel better than experimental baking. I'm normally not one to brag. But this may very well be my most delicious creation ever. 

I made the crust out of crushed vanilla wafers, and folded birthday cake crumb—crispy and cookie-like, with plenty of sprinklesinto the cheesecake batter. (It's the same stuff coating Momofuku Milk Bar's birthday cake truffles.) The crumb is like Funfetti in cookie form; it contributes the flavor of birthday cake, without compromising the density of the cheesecake. Rather, it adds a welcome layer of texture. The pairing of the smooth sponginess of the cheesecake with the crunch of the crumb is to-die-for. In fact, I consider this a viable option for my last meal if I'm ever on Death Row. Not that I plan to be. I've just been watching Manson documentaries. (Creeped out yet? I am.) 

The best part of all: Since it's made with Neufchâtel cheese and marshmallow fluff, this colorful cake is not nearly as caloric as a normal slice of cheesecake. Unless, of course, you eat half the cake in one sitting. I came close.


Birthday Cake Cheesecake

What you need:


Birthday Cake Crumb

From Momofuku Milk Bar
½ cup sugar
1 ½ Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
¾ cup cake flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp rainbow sprinkles
¼ cup grapeseed or canola oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
 

Crust
32 vanilla wafers, crushed
2 Tbsp butter, melted
 

Cheesecake
2 packages (8 oz each) Neufchâtel cheese, softened
7 oz marshmallow fluff
1 egg
2 Tbsp rainbow sprinkles
 

Put it all together:

 1.    Preheat the oven to 300°F.
 2.    Combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and sprinkles in a bowl. Mix on low speed until thoroughly combined.
 3.    Add the oil and vanilla. Mix the ingredients until small clusters form.
 4.    Spread the clusters onto a baking pan covered with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes. The crumbs should feel slightly moist when you take them out of the oven. (They will dry and harden as they cool.) Allow the crumb to cool completely.
5.    Preheat the oven to 350°F.
6.    Combine the butter and crushed vanilla wafers, and press firmly into the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then cool for 10 minutes.
7.    Beat the softened Neufchâtel and fluff with a mixer until smooth. Add the egg, and mix until combined. Stir in the birthday cake crumbs, and pour the batter over the cooled crust 8.    Bake for 2o to 25 minutes, until the center is set. Distribute sprinkles around the edges of the cheesecake, patting them gently to embed them into the cake. Cool the cheesecake completely, then refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.

You may also enjoy...

Birthday Cake Oreo Bark
Funfetti Cheesecake Squares
Funfetti Pie
Homemade Cream Cheese Ice Cream with Butterscotch-Bourbon Sauce

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Bianca! I'd love any suggestions you have for my blog!

      Delete