Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tagged Under: , , , ,

My First Etsy Listing: Vintage Teal Dresser with Distressed Finish!

Share

I've been interested in refinishing and selling furniture on Etsy for some time, and now that I've gone freelance, I actually have the time! I chose this adorable dresser as my first project for a few reasons:

1. That deer decal is precious! I'm always nervous about any business venture that involves throwing out money upfront (in other words, any business venture). But when I spotted the sweet deer on this chifforobe, I knew I couldn't leave it behind. So he came home with me. 

2. I won't be tempted to keep it. This is a nursery/children's item, and since I obviously don't have children (unless you count Kitty Adelaide), the urge to hoard my first piece is not strong. It's still there, but I'm fighting it.

3. Chifforobes are fantastic. You can find a standard dresser anywhere. But chifforobes are harder to come by...and so classy! They have a distinctly vintage feel, yet are still incredibly functional. 

4. It has a history. This piece was made by Lullabye Fine Furniture for Children, a company started in 1897 in the Wisconsin home of John Bukolt, the inventor of the first swinging crib. It was likely produced in the early- to mid-1900s, based on this advertisement, which features a similar 5-drawer chifforobe. (If you want to read the words, the ad is here.)




I wasn't crazy about the wood's color, so I borrowed my generous (and brave) husband's belt and orbital sanders and went to town. Then I painted it a pale teal with a satin finish, which I distressed and sealed with furniture wax. 









See the listing here! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment