Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tagged Under: , , , , , ,

Fat Witch Bakery Lime Squares

Share


My family has a problem with lemon squares. A problem, meaning a total lack of self control. My mom once scarfed an entire batch by herself, then punished the family by refusing to make them for years. I never understood her lemon-square mania until I made them myself. When I bake, I develop a sense of both entitlement and responsibility—a feeling of freedom but also of obligation to eat my desserts. What I'm saying: I ate the entire pan of lemon squares with little assistance and no regrets.

I've since learned my lesson, and only make lemon squares when I have an event to attend. I made these guys for a soldier's coming-home celebration, so traditional lemon didn't seem festive enough. I swapped in limes, and instead of powdered sugar, dusted the tart tops with turbinado sugar to mimic the texture of a margarita's salty rim. 




Fat Witch Bakery Lime Squares
Adapted from Fat Witch Brownies 

What you need

Crust
1 cup flour
½ cup powdered sugar
½ tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces

Filling 
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
½ cup fresh lime juice (5-6 small limes)*
½ Tbsp lime zest
3 Tbsp flour
Big pinch of salt
2 drops of green food coloring
Turbinado sugar (for dusting) 

*Hint: Zap the limes in the microwave for 10 seconds before juicing them. The heat will get the juices flowing!

Put it all together 

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F. 
  2. To prepare the crust, combine the flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a bowl. Fold in the butter, using a fork or your hands. 
  3. Press the flour mixture into the floured pan, and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
  4. To make the filling, beat the eggs until frothy, then slowly stir in the sugar. Add the lime juice and zest, and mix until thoroughly combined.
  5. Add the flour, salt, and food coloring to the filling mixture, and mix well. Pour over the baked crust, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The top should be bubbly and without any liquidy spots. The edges should be brown and pulling away from the pan's edges.
  6. Remove from the oven, and cool for an hour. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, then cut into squares before serving. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment