Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tagged Under: , ,

Double Mint Chocolate Cookies

Share

I know, it's not even December 1st and I'm baking Christmas cookies. But who says mint-chocolate can't be delicious in November? No one. These cookies are one of my dig-through-the-pantry efforts that turned out to be a winner. No matter the time of year. 

I started with Jell-O Candy Cane Pudding Mix, then crunched up a (well-preserved) box of Thin Mints to deepen the minty flavor and add texture. I stirred in a little Hershey's cocoa powder to deliver the chocolatey richness I craved, and used self-rising flour so the cookies would have a cakey texture. I rolled the dough into perfect little balls, shoved them in the oven, and hoped for the best. 



I didn't let myself down.

These cookie are divine. They're so soft they should be called a "cakie" instead of a cookie. The mint flavor isn't as overwhelming as, say, a York Peppermint Patty. But it's strong enough to deliver the coolness that contrasts so beautifully with the depth of chocolate. 


Double Mint Chocolate Cookies

What You Need
¼ cups self-rising flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
1 package instant candy cane pudding mix
2 eggs
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
14 Thin Mints, crumbled*

*Not a Thin Mint hoarder like me? Try Mint Oreos.

Put It All Together

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. 
  2. Use a mixer to cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl. Add the pudding mix, and beat until incorporated completely. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
  3. Combine the flour and baking soda, then add to the butter mixture. Blend thoroughly.
  4. Stir in the crushed cookies with a wooden spoon. (Don't use the mixer. It will crush them.) 
  5. Roll dough into 1" balls, and position them at at least 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper (or an ungreased cookie sheet). Bake for 10-12 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment