Friday, May 4, 2012

Tagged Under: , , , , , , ,

Cinco de Mayo Sweet, Part 2: Deep-Fried Churro Balls!

Share
I'm lazy when it comes to truffle making. Applying the candy coating is tedious work, so for my friend's Cinco de Mayo party, I made just enough Churro Cake Ball Truffles to be considered socially acceptable. My laziness left me with rows of naked little cake balls in my fridge, waiting to be devoured. (No innuendo intended.) 

       I tried deep-fried Oreos at the fair last year, and found them to be absolutely delightful, in a low-brow, don't-tell-anyone-I-ate-this kind of way. (If you're into frou frou desserts, stick to the truffles.) So, alone in my kitchen, where there's no such thing as shame, I whipped up a batch of cinnamon batter, coated the leftover cake balls, and dunked them in a skillet full of sizzling oil. The little fried guys came out crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside, and tasted like a melted cinnamon roll, wrapped in a doughnut hole. In other words, like heaven. 


First, follow the Churro Cake Ball recipe. (Skip the candy coating, obviously.)


Once you've prepared the cake balls, make this...


Cinnamon Batter
Adapted from Willow Bird Baking

What you need
1 egg
1 cup ice-cold water
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Other ingredients
Cornstarch
Vegetable oil
Pre-made cream cheese icing 

Put it all together
  1. Whisk together the egg and water. Mix in the flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
  2. Heat vegetable oil, about 1 inch deep, in a skillet over medium heat. 
  3. Roll each cake ball in cornstarch, then dunk into the cinnamon batter. Using tongs, and allowing excess batter to drip off, transfer two or three at a time to the skillet.
  4. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes, flipping the cake balls halfway through. They should be golden brown. Remove them from the oil onto a paper towel. 
  5. Serve with cream cheese icing for dipping.
Gooey deliciousness.


0 comments:

Post a Comment